25 Feb Marriott Library Honors Women Scientists
By Tallie Casucci
Since March is women’s history month, the Marriott Library is honoring women scientists with their unrequired reading exhibit. Unrequired reading exhibits feature materials, usually books, from the library’s collections concerning the monthly theme. This month, the Marriott Library is displaying books about and by women scientists. These displays will be near the entrances at levels 1 and 3.
Historically, women scientists’ contributions have been overlooked, undervalued, and not acknowledged; however, women researchers’ contributions are significant. Some University of Utah women researchers’ portraits are on display with the unrequired reading exhibit. Several of these fantastic researchers recommended books for the exhibit genre.
Come view the exhibits, at the entrances of the Marriott Library, during the entire month of March.
In addition to books about women scientists, the Marriott Library has several databases about women and their contributions. The databases below are excellent starting points for research. View the full descriptions on the Library’s A-to-Z database list.
- Women Writers Online
- Women’s Magazine Archive
- Women’s Studies Encyclopedia Online
- Women’s Studies International
- Gerritson Collection of Aletta H Jacobs
Are you a woman interested in science or research? Below are a few on-campus groups for you.
- Women in Engineering https://www.coe.utah.edu/students/current/women-in-engineering/
- Women in Health, Medicine, and Science https://uofuhealth.utah.edu/inclusion/wihms/mission.php
- The ACCESS Program for Women in Science and Mathematics https://science.utah.edu/students/access.php